Windmill Strategy understands the unique marketing challenges faced by B2B companies. For over a decade, we’ve helped B2B marketers in technical, industrial and manufacturing industries accelerate growth through highly effective websites and powerful digital marketing.
About the Opportunity:
Windmill Strategy is seeking an experienced website developer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be proficient in WordPress, our primary development CMS, with a broad understanding of web development in general, as well as other CMS platforms.
You will be responsible for building custom WordPress themes, creating custom post types with filterable taxonomies, using native and custom Gutenberg blocks, gated content interactions, integrating plugins, best practice website optimization and more.
This is not a design position, but you should have a sensitivity to design details, aesthetics, and UX/strategy.
While you will be working within a development team, you should be able to fully develop and launch a WordPress site independently. Aside from the development team, you will also work closely with in-house design, strategy, SEO, and project management team members.
This is a remote/WFH position, on a fully virtual team. The salary range for this position is $65,000-$95,000 depending on experience.
You are endlessly inquisitive and a natural-born problem solver. You don’t want a job, you want to be part of a team where your contributions help people succeed and achieve.
Web developers on our team are multidisciplinary and bring a range of talent to the table, from a knack for technical detail to a broad understanding of marketing principles, user experience and design.
You’re a lifelong learner and you understand how business works in a way that allows you to translate a client’s business, marketing, and sales goals into concrete, executable recommendations. You love learning about how complex products are made, sold, and work in our clients’ supply chains.
You’re confident in presenting and explaining your work and flexible to client and team collaboration, always shepherding the client toward the best solution to meet their goals and needs; you know when to give the client what they actually need, vs. what they asked for.
- Collaborate with clients as the technical lead on their account to troubleshoot issues, provide solutions, and support client requests and goals.
- Create clean, responsive, highly customized open source CMS-driven websites (Primarily WordPress) with PHP, HTML, SASS/CSS, and JS/JQUERY based on project specifications, wireframes, and design files (Sketch).
- Full stack development; backend and practical front-end development including complex features and functionality outside of plugins. You may collaborate with other developers day to day, but should be able to build and release a website in its entirety.
- Information architecture – strategizing how we can build the things clients are asking us to build in an efficient, effective, and maintainable manner, within the scope of a reasonable budget, documenting the plan in a software requirements doc and/or strategy brief and wireframes.
- Work from and contribute to flexible boilerplate themes.
- Create CPTs with taxonomies, filtering and relationships.
- Develop custom and utilize core Gutenberg blocks (React or ACF)
- Build integrations with CRMs including HubSpot, Salesforce, Pardot, etc.
- Implement and/or extend plugins, modules, libraries, and APIs to customize display and functionality.
- Test websites for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility.
- Launch websites including DNS updating, site migrations, etc
- Experience with Google’s suite of tools, Tag Manager, Search Console, Page Speed Insights, Maps APIs, etc.
- Collaborate with SEO and make on-site changes, connect with third party tools.
We’re a small team of expert practitioners who are multidisciplinary and often wear many hats. Other related responsibilities may be assigned as needed to help the company operate efficiently potentially including:
- Train clients in using their CMS installations (typically WordPress) and create client-facing website documentation.
- Style and migrate proof of concept content into the CMS using WordPress native and custom block configurations.
- Make edits and updates to existing client websites.
- Strong web development portfolio demonstrating a working knowledge of clean and efficient coding practices, user experience, and attention to design detail.
- Work independently or as part of a collaborative development team.
- Quickly devise smart solutions to complex problems.
- Interest in learning and evaluating innovative tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly, compassionately, and efficiently with other team members, outside programmers, vendors, or clients.
- Strong organizational time-management skills, including the ability to contribute to several concurrent projects and deadlines, taking responsibility for your portion of the project as it contributes to the whole.
- Extensive knowledge of HTML/PHP/CSS, accessibility guidelines, and SEO practices.
- Familiarity with CSS-preprocessors (SASS).
- Awareness of complementary disciplines including marketing/business strategy, human interaction, SEO principles, accessibility, content strategy, and user experience.
- Personally accountable, responsible, and dedicated to creating value and success for Windmill and our clients.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively devise creative solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to work quickly when needed, be flexible to changes, and able to strike a strong balance between perfectionism and value for the client.
- Strong ability to collaborate and assert a point of view positively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively work in a variety of subject matter.
- An optimistic, can-do attitude; effective listening skills; assertiveness and objectivity.
- You have an ongoing interest in learning and self-improvement. You’re an avid adopter of new technologies, and pay attention to trends.
- Work in a Mac environment using a code editor of your choice along with Git, Sketch, Moqups, Invision, Adobe.
- Continuously discover, filter, absorb, and share smart solutions with the team.
- Agency experience or client-side experience in one of our target industries preferred.