We’re on a mission to bring the power of modern marketing to B2B technical industries, so they can achieve greater success. For over a decade, we’ve helped B2B marketers in technical, industrial and manufacturing industries accelerate growth through highly effective websites and powerful digital marketing.
About The Opportunity:
Windmill Strategy is seeking an experienced Digital Marketing Director to join our team to be the leader and core driver of Windmill’s Digital Marketing team and its digital marketing policies, best practices, and offerings. This role is expected to be 25% management and 75% billable (doing billable client work) at its inception, though responsibilities and expectations will change as the digital marketing team expands.
The role is responsible for the effective management of all digital elements of our clients’ marketing programs, ensuring Windmill delivers the best possible results and customer experience for its clients and customers, by finding unique solutions that go beyond the implementation of best practices, to customizing smart solutions for each specific client.
After successful onboarding, the role will be responsible for the daily management, growth and mentorship of the digital marketing team, along with the building and refining of systems, processes and best practices for our unique target market as we continue to grow this side of our business to become a more holistic digital marketing solution for our clients.
This is a remote/work-from-home position, on a fully distributed team.
This person understands our clients’ businesses, how each tactic works and how all digital tactics work together to form a comprehensive program. You are expected to be an advocate and go-to expert for a wide range of digital marketing-related activities, projects and initiatives, including but not limited to: SEO (On-site, On-site, Technical and Content), PPC, and Paid Social.
You see problems (or opportunities) and you intrinsically act to solve them in a measured fashion. You gravitate towards helping train and mentor others to develop their skills to deliver more effective work, more efficiently. You like to solve recurring problems and try to get to the root of a recurring issue in order to improve or change processes that hinder our ability to innovate.
He or she must be comfortable communicating with and presenting results, analytics and rationales to clients, and contributing to overall strategy, as well as rolling up their sleeves to bring strategic recommendations to life in partnership with others on the team.
You should have strong attention to detail, and an eager willingness to learn from experience and data in a niche environment focused on B2B technical industries, where B2C or enterprise best practices may not apply. In addition to driving the strategic direction of initiatives, you will also assist with quality assurance, maintenance, and optimization on multiple accounts in collaboration with our team. Being able to manage your work to meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple projects, while balancing collaboration, teamwork and work-life balance is a must for this position.
You should have at least 5-10 years of experience being client-facing, working on multiple accounts and campaigns at once, putting together performance reports, and working collaboratively with a variety of Digital Account Managers and other Specialists on the team. Qualified applicants will also have direct SEO and PPC experience in an agency or B2B setting, as well as a broad understanding of digital marketing principles. This is a senior level position.
- LMA (Leadership, Management and Accountability) of the Digital Marketing team and its cumulative success
- Upholds company/partner digital marketing standards
- Digital marketing team processes
- Digital marketing education
- Owns weekly one-on-one meetings with each digital marketing team member
- Helps develop and nurture digital marketing team members’ growth, defining goals and milestones
- Provides digital strategists and specialists with information enough to start and complete their work
- Oversees digital team resource management and hiring of strategists and specialists
- Ensures all Google and Bing certifications are maintained for the agency and individual team members
- Maintains and sources new digital marketing-specific vendor relationships in an efficient and profitable manner
- Sets the tone for how we manage our external communication with vendors and builds the reputation of the digital team within the larger advertising community
- Keeps agency teams informed of new developments in the evolving digital environment
- Stays on top of industry trends, particularly to new distribution channels, learning new platforms and applies to the agency’s workflow
- Maximizes the use of current technology and evaluates based on changing team needs
- Manages digital team workflows and holds the team to a high standard of execution
- Provides expert advice and counsel to digital team members where necessary
- Manages internal expectations for what can be delivered within a given time frame and budget
- Ensures recurring and singular project deadlines are always hit and communicating with necessary stakeholders if they will not be
- Evaluates the digital team output and services provided and investigates areas where improvement is needed, developing a plan and strategy to achieve goals
- Oversees digital media projects and client budgets to promote agency and department profitability
- Regularly reports results including revenue and costs to necessary stakeholders
- Contributes to Windmill’s digital vision, goals and point of view compared to competitors in the marketplace
- Creates a team environment that promotes curiosity and active learning
- Take responsibility for the outcome of your work, collaborating with and assisting with others on the team as needed, ensuring projects are on track and client goals are being met and exceeded
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the company and your department through process and system improvements
Skills and background:
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, communications or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of related experience with 5+ years of digital strategy and planning experience in an agency setting
- Prior team leadership and management experience
- Direct experience in all digital tactics offered by the agency, including but not limited to: SEO (On-site, On-site, Technical and Content), PPC, and Paid Social
- Hands-on experience in paid digital including Google Ads, Microsoft (Bing) Ads, LinkedIn Ads and Facebook Ads
- Comfortable in a client-facing role with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, including the capability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently but also collaboratively as part of a team with other strategists, account managers, and subject-matter experts
- Must be comfortable with data analysis in Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Google Ads, Microsoft (Bing) Ads, LinkedIn Ads and Facebook Ads
- Understanding of organic SEO strategy and the strong overlap between organic and paid
- A good match for Windmill’s key characteristics and critical actions, and enthusiasm for our mission of helping industrial B2B marketers escape from ineffective and outdated marketing
- Experience working with mid-market B2B client accounts, technical industries (technical, industrial, manufacturing, engineering, medical device) preferred – or willingness to learn quickly
- Intrinsic curiosity and drive to maintain current skills and knowledge while also pursuing ongoing knowledge of the changing digital marketing landscape
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Apps
- Experience with ABM and sales/marketing alignment is a plus
- Ability to build reporting based off web behavior and key SEO metrics
- A holistic mindset that allows you to see how your work impacts and intersects the larger client account and digital marketing campaign
- Problem-solving mindset with high attention to detail
- Proven ability to interact and collaborate across multiple disciplines to accomplish a common goal
- Able to effectively operate and complete complex tasks with minimal oversight