We’re on a mission to bring the power of modern marketing to B2B technical industries, so they can achieve greater success. For over a decade, we’ve helped B2B marketers in technical, industrial and manufacturing industries accelerate growth through highly effective websites and powerful digital marketing.
About the Opportunity:
Windmill Strategy is seeking an experienced website developer with design chops to join our marketing team. The ideal candidate will be experienced at planning, designing, developing, and managing a corporate B2B WordPress website. You will be responsible for both front-end and back-end design and development, including creating WordPress themes, creating custom post types with filterable taxonomies, custom Gutenberg blocks, gated content interactions, integrating plugins and site optimization. The exact mix of design/development will depend on the individual candidate’s skills; but our rough target is 70% development and 30% design and UX strategy. Expect a mix of developing websites designed by others, or your own design concepts.
You are endlessly inquisitive and a natural-born problem solver.
You don’t want a job, you want to be part of a team where your contributions help people succeed and achieve..
You know ideas are only as good as the effort put into realizing them. You are comfortable in your own skin. You enjoy the hot seat and making decisions. You follow process and believe it contributes to excellence. You know when veering from a process or evolving it is the right thing to do. You seek to understand what clients need and value, and see yourself as a guide to helping them reach their goals. You work hard, play hard and work some more to support the team.
You are an optimistic self-starter. You find joy in solving problems, making things more usable on every level, and simplifying the complex.
You’re confident presenting and explaining your work. You know when to give the client what they actually need, vs. what they asked for.
You create innovative, intuitive and interactive customer experiences for Web, Mobile and Social using best practices in design and development technologies.
- Create clean HTML/PHP, CSS/SASS, and JS/jQuery based on project specifications, wireframes, and design files (Sketch).
- Build and test responsive, highly-customized open source CMS-managed websites (primarily WordPress).
- Work from and contribute to flexible boilerplate themes.
- Create CPTs with taxonomies, filtering and relationships.
- Develop custom Gutenberg blocks (React or ACF)
- Build integrations with HubSpot, Salesforce, Pardot, etc.
- Implement and/or extend plugins, modules, libraries, and APIs to customize display and functionality.
- Test websites for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility.
- Launch websites including DNS updating, site migrations, etc
- Experience with Google’s suite of tools, Tag Manager, Search Console, Page Speed Insights, Maps APIs, etc.
- Learn new CMS, application, and eCommerce platforms as needed.
- Work in a Mac environment using a code editor of your choice along with Git, Sketch, Moqups, Invision, Adobe
- Creative Suite, Google Drive, and Open Office.
- Continuously discover, filter, absorb, and share smart solutions with the team.
- Other related responsibilities may be assigned as needed to help the company operate efficiently.
- Collaborate with the team to understand client needs and deliver smart solutions that provide value and optimize usability, business, and technical needs.
- Bring your design eye to work that you’re developing, filling in the gaps to create a finished product that is of a high quality user experience and meets the client’s needs.
- Update existing websites with layouts and designs that fit or improve upon existing standards.
- Work closely with our design, development, content and SEO teams to create work that not only looks good, but truly works for both our clients and our process. Collaborate with other developers and/or designers throughout the design and development cycle.
- Create effective UI, UX and visual design deliverables including sitemaps, navigation, wireframes, and the design of marketing and lead-generation focused websites, ecommerce websites, web applications, and occasional print collateral and brand assets. (Print design experience not required.)
- Ensure deliverables are of high quality and consistent with creative direction, best practices, and guidelines. Work with project management to ensure this team meets its deadlines.
- Communicate clearly, taking a leadership role with clients when presenting design and UI decisions and gathering feedback, in collaboration with our management team. Actively listen and tailor your language to varying client stakeholders, from C-suite to specialists.
- Provide accurate estimates of effort to create deliverables; identify risks and uncertainty.
Other related responsibilities may be assigned as needed to help the company operate efficiently.
- A degree in either design or development, with professional experience doing both.
- Strong web development portfolio demonstrating a working knowledge of clean and efficient coding practices, user experience, and attention to design detail.
- A self-starter who can work with a team and manage projects independently, while efficiently delegating to and overseeing others.
- Work independently or as part of a collaborative development team.
- Quickly devise smart solutions to complex problems.
- Interest in learning and evaluating innovative tools.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with other team members, outside programmers, vendors, or clients.
- Strong organizational time-management skills, including the ability to contribute to several concurrent projects and deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of HTML/CSS, accessibility guidelines, and SEO practices.
- Familiarity with CSS-preprocessors (SASS, LESS).
- A strong portfolio demonstrative of a working knowledge of web design and UI best practices.
- Awareness of complementary disciplines including marketing/business strategy, human interaction, SEO principles, accessibility, content strategy, and user experience.
- Personally accountable, responsible, and dedicated to creating value and success for Windmill and our clients.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively devise creative solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to work quickly when needed, be flexible to changes, and able to strike a strong balance between perfectionism and value for the client.
- Strong ability to collaborate and assert a point of view positively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly learn and effectively work in a variety of subject matter.
- An optimistic, can-do attitude; effective listening skills; assertiveness and objectivity.
- You have an ongoing interest in learning and self-improvement. You’re an avid adopter of new technologies, and pay attention to trends.
- Able to work in a Mac environment with expert level mastery of Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, and InVision.
- Agency experience or client-side experience in one of our target industries preferred.
Please email a cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and links to three live website projects that you’ve worked on (with a description of your role in the project) to Windmill Strategy: email@example.com